1. Ask us for the name of a good quality hotel that is in a convenient location and that has the amenities that meet your needs. We also may be aware of times when local hotels will be booked for specific events.
2. Tentatively book a Home Inspector after you set your arrival date. Confirm there is no penalty to cancel or re-schedule the home inspection.
3. Bring your cheque book along. You may need to pay for a home inspection and put a deposit on your new home. Ask us about standard deposit amounts for the Quinte area.
4. Bring a video or still camera to take pictures of the home you purchase. Remember, we will need the owners’ permission first!
5. Bring slip-on shoes to get in and out of homes quicker.
6. If you are bringing younger children along, you may want to arrange for child care to facilitate evening showings and when reviewing and signing important real estate documents.
7. Being in contact with a local lender or broker prior to your arrival may expedite the purchase process, particularly when we are trying to remove any financing conditions from your Offer of Purchase and Sale. If you need contact information for the local Mortgage Specialists, we can provide you with their details.
8. You may require the services of other professionals while on your house hunting trip i.e., lawyer, home inspector, contractor, etc. We can provide you with a list of experienced specialists who are registered with Federal Government Relocation companies and they will be pleased to assist you.
9. Bring medical referral letters to arrange for new practitioners when you have spare time during your HHT. The sooner you get on wait lists, the better!
10. When we have an accepted offer, but are still waiting to remove our conditions i.e., home inspection, etc., you may wish to take advantage of the time to complete other tasks if you are from out of town. Make sure you bring along all required documentation to investigate schools, drop off resumes at potential employers, open bank accounts, complete change of address cards, research a babysitter, and set-up utilities/phone/cable.
11. To speed up the process, ask us for our ‘What to do Now’ checklist which has the phone numbers for local utility companies and businesses.